Traveling to Europe always reminds me of how young our country is and how far back European history goes. I loved the architecture that incorporates the extreme past, more recent past, and the present. Maybe Uncle Keith (the elder) could do a better job explaining the aspects of the buildings, but I'll just share some pictures of the cool architecture.
La Seu - built during the 13th to 15th centeuries on the site of a Roman temple, in Barri Gotic
View from Park Guell
No clue, just thought it was a cool builing
Same idea - just liked the neighborbood
Montserrat stone formation - naturally occuring cool architecture
Many artists have depicted this heroic act. Given our experience with dog-hunting, we decided to go dragon-hunting. Following reports of a dragon sighting in Parc Guell, we (meaning Sandi) were determined to find said dragon. Not to be dismayed by an initial unsuccesful path through the park, we eventually stumbled upon the dragon, himself.
He was huge!
He was fearsome!
Actually, he wasn't nearly as big as we had imagined.
Here is Sant Jordi, in all his glory, slaying the dragon.
Dali depicted Sant Jordi to look more like an ant. That's Dali for you. Sandi did her part to hold the dragon down while Sant Jordi did the dirty work.
Speaking of Dali, we considered going to the Dali museum.
Never did find it.
Our own little version of Where's Waldo, except, Where's Dan? Mira loved this game. Dad-dy!Sagrada Familia
Arc de Triomf
La Seu
Montserrat - just kidding! That one is a "Where's Sandi?" I really am in the picture.
We struck gold in finding places to eat. The food was flavored so well, usually accompanied (of course) by some type of Spanish libation. Restaraunts usually offer a menu del dia that consists of a few different courses.
We even found a vegetarian restaraunt that had served us a delicious meal.
But the potatoes...what's with Spain and potatoes? I thought potatoes were a new world food. Everyone wants to serve you potatoes, all the time. I need a break from potatoes.
Picture in park
We found him (or he found us?) in the Parc de la Ciutadella.
Only in Spain would you find a sign forbidding soccer.
We "played" by the rules.Camp Nou - the home of FC Barcelona. I was a little uncomfortable being surrounded by so many grown men drooling.
These pieces are more typical of Grenada, Spain, but I can't get enough of looking at them. I never did convince Dan to buy a piece for home, but I'll always have the picture.
A final toast (over sangria, of course!) to a great week together.
Couldn't pass up taking pictures of these signs in London.
We only had an overnight stay at an airport hotel between flights from Barcelona and to Houston, but it was enough to catch these sights.